May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Today is World Communion Sunday



Today is World Communion Sunday, traditionally observed on the first Sunday in October. The Christian Community world wide gathers to share the bread and wine in remembrance of Him, with the added thought and prayer for the unity of Christians everywhere.

For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. (1 Corinthians 11: 23-26)

Our Service at First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Las Vegas, is particularly wonderful. We have several ethnic churches that use our facility, so communion is shared in Spanish, French, Tagalog and Korean. It's an extraordinary service, and is a reminder of Him, who sacrificed so much, and we are all united by His Love, Mecy, and Forgiveness.

All are welcome at the Table in our church if you have accepted the Lord as Savior. One doesn't need to be a member.
"Those who are faithful and of little faith,
Those who are weak and strong,
Those who are hungry and satisfied,
Those who are lions and lambs,
Those who are doves and sword bearers,
Those who are afflicted and comfortable."
(Rev. Dr. Byron Anthony Wade.)

Lyrics to my favorite communion hymn:

In Remembrance
(Ragan Courtney and Buryl Red)

In remembrance of Me eat this bread
In remembrance of Me drink this wine
In remembrance of Me pray for the time
When God's own will is done

In remembrance of me heal the sick
In remembrance of me feed the poor
In remembrance of me open the door
And let your brother in, let him in

Take eat and be comforted
Drink and remember too
That this is my body and precious blood
Shed for you, shed for you

In remembrance of me always love
In remembrance of me don't look above
But in your heart, in your heart
Look in your heart for God

Do this in remembrance of Me
Do this in remembrance of Me
In remembrance of Me

As we Christians share this day, this bread, this wine in remembrance of Him, we pray for a healed world, for peace, for justice.

No comments: