May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Friday, October 16, 2009

Office of Readings – OOR {A Discovery for Me}

I'm a main stream Protestant in my religious practice. I do have, and have read much of, the Catechism of the Catholic Church and "Crossing the Threshold of Hope" by John Paul II. I attended my first Mass about three years ago I think, and have been to a couple since. It's a good thing. Sometimes I do feel Catholic, which is almost a nonsensical statement, but just let the concept wash over you.

I've recently discovered the Office of Readings, which is or includes four volumes of Liturgy of the Hours. I'm not certain yet what all this is. There are web sites one can go to for daily readings.

I just wanted to share this beautiful passage I found, that seeped through me, embraced me, washed over me, comforted me. All of us have these incredible struggles, and when I lift my eyes to Him, open my heart to Him, I feel better for it. This passage is written by the Benedictine Abbot Saint Columban. Not knowing the structure, I think this is a reading and a response.

"How blessed, how fortunate, are those servants whom the Lord will find watchful when he comes. Blessed is the time of waiting when we stay awake for the Lord, the Creator, who fills all things and transcends all things.

How I wish he would awaken me, his humble servant, from the sleep of slothfulness, even though I am of little worth. How I wish he would enkindle me with that fire of divine love. The flames of his love burn beyond the stars; the longing for his overwhelming delights and the divine fire ever burn within me!

How I wish I might deserve to have my lantern always burning at night in the temple of my Lord, to give light to all who enter the house of my God. … Give your light to my lantern, I beg you, my Jesus, so that by its light I may see that holy of holies which receives you as the eternal priest entering among the columns of your great temple. May I ever see you only, look on you, long for you; may I gaze with love on you alone, and have my lantern shining and burning always in your presence."

This is a prayer or response to it:

"The sun shall no longer be your light by day,
nor shall the brightness of the moon shine on you at night.
–The Lord shall be your everlasting light,
and your God shall be your glory.

Your sun shall never set,
nor shall your moon withdraw.
–The Lord shall be your everlasting light,
and your God shall be your glory."

No comments: