May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Religious Journey II

There's a bit of a gap and in my high school freshman year I'm attending the Nazarene church. I don't remember the name of the family, or the friend that got me going. The high school friend was very popular in school, and a superior athlete and student. I was just coming into my own as an athlete and student, and his attention to me was important. His family would pick us (my brother and me) up Sunday morning. We attended both Sunday school and services. I never joined that church, though I found a lot of support and activity there. Strict practitioners. Which is good for a teenager. No dancing, no coffee. High "holy rollers" though. Lots of "amens" during the service. First time I heard people speaking in tongues. Many Sundays a call to the altar, people being saved, lots of emotion and crying out, loudly, to God for forgiveness and salvation. I went up, more than once. I wanted God in my life, and going to the altar then was such a release and connection. On Sunday nights we went to service too. Altar calls were more often than Sunday morning. I don't remember communion being as an important part of the service like First Christian. First Christian Communion is served every Sunday. It's what we do. A pillar of our belief and practice. There was Wednesday night service too, and it was well attended. Every week. I went to a lot of youth activities, always involved in something. Sang in both the youth and adult choir then. Went to Ensenada one year and helped rebuild a small community church. I attended the Nazarene Church all through high school. I was always accepted, and felt loved by the people and God. This church was ever so important to me. I think religious teaching must must must be part of growing up for every human being; and that teaching and experience must be Judeo-Christian. I absolutely believe John 14:6 "...I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." I was thinking at the time that I would go to Claremont Seminary and study theology. But God had other plans for me.

No comments: