May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Monday, March 30, 2009

Spirit Filled Day, Funfilled Night

In the middle of the Las Vegas Valley is a religious retreat. A courtyard with trees and grass and singing birds. Inside it's so quiet, with candles and small gurgling fountains. In this serene place we Elders met for a day of communion, meditation and discussion. Usually when we meet off campus it's for business purposes, to set goals for the church, set up committees, etc. This was a spiritual retreat. Be still, and know God. We go so fast so much, that we must must must take a break. Not only events like these, but take a few minutes each day. Just stop. Breathe. It was pointed out that even when we pray, we're talking. We need to be silent when with Him, to hear what He says.
Here are some of the verses we meditated and prayed on.
Pslam 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God."

Isaiah 40:31 "Those who wait for the Lord will renew their strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not be weary, they will walk and not faint."

Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Psalm 119:114 "You're my place of quiet retreat; I wait for your Word to renew me."

Someone said to author and minister Max Lucado, start slow and taper off. I like the idea. There may be moments when hurry is appropriate, but for goodness sakes, as a life style? We all arrive, ultimately, at the same place in the same condition.
Here too is a great metaphor for our relationship with God. Ben Franklin and the kite. The key is our ego, the string is prayer, the kite is God, and the sky is Heaven. We need to take time daily to ensure our string is taut and the kite is flying.

After the retreat my friends Cory and Cindi and I went to the new Eastside Cannery and saw Freddie Cannon. The buffet was being remodeled so we went to the Mexican restaurant, and Freddie Cannon, his wife and son were there. Cindi had met him before and went up to talk to him; they were finished with dinner and getting ready to leave. He and his son were just great, they came over to our table and talked to us about music and their shows. He was such a great guy. The show itself was a lot of fun; he had two sons in his band, and they rocked the house.

I must say, this was a great day.

No comments: