May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Friday, April 2, 2010

Peter's, and Our Denials

Now Simon Peter stod and warmed himself. Therefore they said to him, "You are not also one on His disciples, are you? He denied it and said, "I am not!" -John 18:25

Deny my Lord? I could not but disdain
The thought that I might so esteem life’s breath
As timidly to flee from threat of death
And thus avoid the Saviour’s Lenten pain.
No, never would I shout that same refrain
Of “I know not the man!” nor would I bend
In fear, but follow even to the end,
For I would not bear frailty’s heavy chain.
But at that hour when courage seemed so vast,
When pride had banished cowardice from sight
And I had thought my valour would suffice,
I realized at once that, in the past,
Through sinful deeds committed I had quite
Denied my Lord far often more than thrice.

© David T. Koyzis 1990

No comments: