May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Observations on Lent

This coming Sunday is the first day of Lent. This is the beginning of forty days for Christians to put God back at the center of our lives. The vid at the end is the best explanation of the observance.

Elisabeth Leseur was a devout Catholic that wrote a profound diary, and has a profound life story. In it, she wrote:
I have jotted down in my notebook my lenten resolutions, but I want to confirm them here. I must truly renew my life, and it is God whom I ask in all simplicity to transform me. I want to live interiorly more spiritually, exteriorly more gently and lovingly so as to make God better loved, who is the beginning and end of my spiritual life. More than ever I want to hide in the heart of Jesus my good works, my prayers, my self denial, to preach only through example, to speak not at all of myself and little of God, since in this sad world it only gives scandal or annoys others by showing one’s love for God. But whenever someone approaches me, or whenever it seems to be God’s will that I should approach another, I will do so simply, very prudently, and disappear as soon as the task is done, mixing no thought of self with God’s action. And should I be misunderstood, criticized and judged unfavorably, I will try to rejoice in remembering our divine exemplar, and I will seek to be of no consequence in the esteem of others, I whom am in fact so poor and little in the eyes of God.


Here's a great explanation of the Lenten Season

2 comments:

S.R. Piccoli said...

Thanks for sharing this!

Steven Dexter said...

Quite welcome Rob. I'll have to read Elisabeth Leseur's diary now. Apparently her faith and life was so profound, her atheist husband not only became a Christian, but became a priest after her death.