May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Johnny Depp Rewrites History, Praises Dillinger

As much as I appreciate the body of work of Depp, I won't be seeing this movie, which glorifies bank robber and murderer John Dillinger.

Dillinger, during the Depression robbed about $300,000, in today's dollars about $4.8 million. Depp sees this action as making Dillinger like Robin Hood. This is because, according to Depp, he only robbed from banks, not people. I think that these days, the money in banks is money that people put there. I'm pretty certain the same was true then. Dillinger never gave any money to poor people, he spent the money he stole from people on prostitutes and booze, cars and guns. A thing about Robin Hood; he didn't steal from the rich and give to the poor. He got back money from government officials (the Sheriff and the corrupt king)that taxed and stole from the people to enrich themselves. Kind of like government officials today. I see Robin Hood as a militant conservative stopping the government from stealing from the people and working to allow them to keep their earnings. I don't see Robin Hood taking money from anyone that actually earned it.

Depp idolizes this murdering bank robber. He thinks that the murdering, bank robbing Dillinger is a splendid man, and the real criminal is J. Edgar Hoover. Talking about Hoover Depp said, "I mean, who's the real criminal?"

Some quotes from Depp:

"I wanted to salute my grandfather through Dillinger and salute Dillinger through my grandfather. You know, my grandfather drove a bus by day back in the '30s and ran moonshine by night."

"The title of the film is 'Public Enemies,' but I don't see John Dillinger as an enemy of the public."

"People at certain points just had to take up arms, did they not?"

A movie that glamorizes a murderer and thief; that was extremely violent. Not on my dime.

No comments: