May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Monday, October 27, 2008

Flu Shot

I've been down and out for two days because I had a flu shot this past Friday, provided by the Nevada Cancer Institute where I volunteer. I went into work Sat morning and made it until 7AM. I'd been up all night with all the symptoms, and knew that a co worker had the day off, so it was imperative I show up. After three hours, I couldn't sit up, couldn't comprehend what anyone was saying to me (all was like a foreign language), couldn't even do computer admin stuff, so I came home and passed out for six hours. I can't imagine what the real flu would be like if this was just from a little shot. Yikes! So the sheets are being washed, the dish washer is running (the kitchen was a mess!! I can't stand that!!!). Was I sleep walking? My apt was a mess but I don't remember anything I did to make it so. The only other time a flu shot made me sick was the Swine Flu shot in the Seventies. I was in the Navy at the time and all were required to get it. I had quarterdeck watch that night, and collapsed on the stairwell leading onto the deck, just as some jerk officer (not all officers are, just this one) chewed me out for sitting down on watch. I had collapsed at just the moment the officer walked around the corner, so the officer of the deck didn't have a chance to intervene until after the jerk said something. He relived me of the watch. When I got down to my bunk, I went into convulsions and was in that flu state for two days, like I was with this shot. Though it's only happened twice, I've got to wonder if the shot is worth it. The years I didn't get a shot, I did fine. This year I was motivated because of my work at the Nevada Cancer Institute, and I don't even want to be the cause of any illness there. There it could be deadly, so in this case I guess, it was worth it.

No comments: