May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sonia Sotomayor-Next Supreme Court Judge

She'll get the position. This is a political battle the Republicans can't win. Is she qualified? NO. Dems rejected Republican nominees because of ideology; they weren't Liberal. While we go through this, you know that she won't be treated as horribly, "borked" as Republican nominees either. How does she think?

Sandra Day O’Connor said that a wise old man and a wise old woman would reach the same conclusion when deciding cases.
Sotomayor said: “I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.”

There's a video of Judge Sotomayor asserting in 2005 that a “court of appeals is where policy is made.” She then immediately adds: “And I know — I know this is on tape, and I should never say that because we don’t make law. I know. O.K. I know. I’m not promoting it. I’m not advocating it. I’m — you know.”

I've read several of her other comments. She puts her gender and ethnicity before the law. All in all, this puts the Constitution and the American people in no worse of a position than we had with Souter. She too believes in legislating from the bench. Can't get it passed in the congress, take it to court and get it done based on race, gender and international law, not the Constitution.

2 comments:

S.R. Piccoli said...

I am quite puzzled by this...

Steven Dexter said...

Given the gutless wonders that the Republican Party has as "leaders", I'm not so puzzled. So far only Newt Gingrich has called this what is. She's a racist, and should withdraw. The Statists in this country have effectively divided everyone into groups and play them off against each other. In this case Hispanics against Conservatives and Republicans. The 'Pubs are afraid of alienating the Hispanic population. Well, they are already overwhelmingly Dems anyway. Principals anyone? The MSM has ensured the general population is uninformed. Qualifications and temperment aren't important.