May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Saturday Night Out

Last night I met my brother at the Thomas and Mack arena. He's the Lighting Designer for REO Speedwagon, so I get to see a lot of their concerts. This year they're on tour with 38 Special and Styx. I got there while 38 Special was playing, and Paul and I went for a walk. It was only a little after 7:00 and REO was the closing act and didn't come on until about 9:30. This whole endeavor is sooooo massive! All the equipment for three groups take about seven semi's and seven tour buses. They had driven from Phoenix the night before and started working here in Vegas at 8am. Last night, or rather this morning, (I left a little after midnight) they were still loading out. Backstage, there is good humor, helpfulness and focus. These guys had been at it since morning and it was nearly midnight. Giant trunks on wheels getting stuffed with equipment, massive wires, computers, control panels; then fork lifts racing to get the trunks on the trucks. I've seen lots of load outs, lots of locations, and am always amazed at the efficiency and quickness. Next time you're at a concert, take a good look at the lighting trusses. They're massive and complex. These roadies are amazing. Paul at one point comes down off the stage, signals to me to follow, and says he's going to put me to work. We dismantle and pack the CO2 bottles. He's said he'll turn me into a road dog yet. My dogs are tired; I leave them up and stay home. I'm amazed these guys live on the road. Last year REO did ninety something concerts. Simply amazing.

The concert itself was fun. I of course know all the REO music. One of my favorite groups since the 70's. Styx, not really on my musical radar, was okay. I thought in the seventies they were a bit self important, and they still come off that way. Though they don't engage me musically, I do appreciate their singing and musicianship. It's high quality and technically proficient. When the lights went down for REO to start after Styx, the stage stayed dark for a bit too long, and the crowed starts its stomping and cheering. It could have been a teaser. What happened was that when Paul went to bring up the lights, there was no response in the control board. The Thomas and Mack computer guy did a quick check and couldn't find out what was wrong, so he got Paul moved over to the backup board. They were both so pro and calm. What had happened was that when the master board was moved a little for the REO set, a cable got disconnected. Just a little, so couldn't be noticed in the dark. I may a bit biased here, but REO has a better show, and is way more fun. It's just a celebration of music. It was great to see, for both groups, thousands of people dancing, singing and laughing. A lot of the lyrics to are so celebratory of life, of people, of rising up to meet challenges, not giving up; then the story telling songs.

Here's a kudos to a job well done...to roadies and musicians.

No comments: