May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Monday, April 27, 2009

Interesting and Brave Novel and Other Books

I've finished reading "Keeping Faith" by Jodi Picoult. This will be the first of many of her novels I'll be reading this summer. (I like to read novels in the summer to lighten it up. Nonfiction mostly in the non summer months.) It involves a seven year old girl, secular Jewish mother, and secular dad. Something happens and the girl gets stigmata, the sick gets healed and a lot of other miracles take place. This is great speculative fiction. How do the courts react, the press, religious leaders, and the people personally involved? I loved this novel and am looking forward to reading more of Picoult's books.

Several months ago my brother loaned me "The Black Swan, 'The Impact of the Highly Improbable'", which both confirmed and changed my thinking on many things. I sent that copy on to a friend of his, so bought my own today. Revolutionary, and if you want a truly different perspective on what's going on, check it out.

I also picked up today "A Whole New Mind 'Why right-Brainers Will Rule the Future'". I doubt it. The AR detail people have a tight grip on everything, and will fight to the death for what they perceive as control. As a right brained person living in a left brain world, I'll read this as an enjoyable fantasy.

No comments: