May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Monday, December 8, 2008

Me and Erudite

Me and Erudite
Category: Life

erudite [air-rude-ite]

Adjective: having or showing great academic knowledge [Latin erudire to polish]

Word History: One might like to be erudite but hesitate to be rude. This preference is supported by the etymological relationship between erudite and rude. Erudite comes from the Latin adjective .. "well-instructed, learned," from the past participle of the verb .. "to educate, train." The verb is in turn formed from the prefix ex-, "out, out of," and the adjective rudis, "untaught, untrained," the source of our word rude. The English word erudite is first recorded in a work possibly written before 1425 with the senses "instructed, learned." Erudite meaning "learned" is supposed to have become rare except in sarcastic use during the latter part of the 19th century, but the word now seems to have been restored to favor.

Over the years people have complimented me on how smart/intelligent I am, and though I've accepted the compliment graciously, or humorously denied it, I've always been certain it's untrue. I got C's and D's in elementary school, did better in high school with a few A's and B's and an occasional C, then in college, after my liberal arts requirements were completed, nearly straight A's. The A's were due to my having a focus on my passion, and nearly all graded work was of research and essays. In school though, I spent more time studying stuff not covered, and reading writers not discussed. Teachers have their ruts to, so the same authors, books and ideas were re-hashed every year. Boring, boring, boring.

I'm reading a book of philosophy right now, which I'll be blogging on when I wrap my mind around the concepts (this is very cool stuff), and the author used the word 'erudite'. I remember the word from long ago, but had never used it, and didn't remember the definition. When I looked it up, I realized that people recognized that I was erudite.

I've have struggled daily, all my life, learning new stuff, and getting it to stick in my head. Even things I'm passionate about don't stay unless I work in memory prompts and tricks. I occasionally re-listen to some memory tapes to help me from losing ground. I have Outlook pop ups to keep me on schedule, to remind me of where I'm supposed to be. Before that I had a Franklin Planner I carried everywhere. Now I have a PDA, and next year a smart phone that I can program to help me keep knowledge and events and schedules. The PDA will get retired like the planner.

The thing is, we all need to, regardless of whether we're 'smart' or 'erudite', constantly work to improve our minds. Read those things that challenge us, that stretch us. (If you're not a reader, get an audio book). The body is a bit different. It just takes some work and discipline to manage the process of aging so health issues don't keep us from improving the quality of our lives. If you work at enhancing your knowledge and maintaining your body, you become a better communicator, co-worker, friend, lover. Pick up something you haven't tried in a while: biography, history, philosophy, a science book, math. "Kaizen" is a Japanese word for 'constant improvement'. Just little steps, gradual, daily movement toward the better. I think it was Brian Tracy that recommended we focus on a mind set of 2% improvement per day. I should go back and do this; I had "2%" on my mirror so I saw it every morning getting ready for my day. Hmmmm, no should, I'm doing it today.


Lots of people say you can't do something. On the flip side I've heard too that I couldn't do something. Wasn't capable, smart enough. Amazing how that works. You're smart, you're a idiot, yet you're the same person. Early on I figured this out. My Jr. High PE coach said that I shouldn't bother to try out for sports in High School, I wasn't good enough at sports. I ended up a record breaking distance runner and three year letterman (missed being a four year by one point). My high school coach figured it out about me too. Before a meet, he had a hand out, with who needed to place 1st, 2nd or 3rd in what events for us to win a meet. He would put my name in second or third, or as not placing; that'd tick me off and I'd win or place higher. Great coach. I was told I couldn't sing so I joined the church choir while in high school, and now sing all the time. I was terrified of heights, so in the Navy I volunteered to be the guy to climb to the top of the mast to do maintenance on the radar antennas. If you're young don't believe the negative things said to you or about you; if you're a seasoned citizen, or becoming one, go after the new.


Be erudite, be courageous, practice kaizen.

1 comment:

S.R. Piccoli said...

"I was told I couldn't sing so I joined the church choir while in high school, and now sing all the time. I was terrified of heights, so in the Navy I volunteered to be the guy to climb to the top of the mast to do maintenance on the radar antennas. If you're young don't believe the negative things said to you or about you; if you're a seasoned citizen, or becoming one, go after the new."

A very good read for teens, but also for parents and teachers. It's always a pleasure to read your stuff.