May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Monday, September 15, 2008

An Oft Overlooked Aspect of Forgiveness

We need constant reminding to be forgiving. I'm glad for it. The usual scripture referred to is Matthew 18:21, "Then Peter came to Him and said, 'Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?' Jesus said to him, 'I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.'" I don't think it ends there. Later in Luke Jesus says, "Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him. And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, 'I repent' you shall forgive him'." I hear many people, including pastors and theologians, say we should forgive mass murderers like Timothy McVeigh or terrorists, the pedophile, the rapist; because it is the Christian thing to do. I think it immoral and self-serving to do so. I think that the amoral thinking, the "peace out, man", and forgive unconditionally, is un-Christian. There should be penalty and repentance by the person that sins against you. I'll not forgive a person that keeps hurting someone, or me, because he thinks he has a license to do so because I "have" to forgive him because I'm a Christian. I'll forgive someone if they keep screwing up, but not if they're malicious and think they can get away with it. So I'll happily grant forgiveness, but I must be asked.

No comments: