May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Worship, Going to Church

I had thought, when I finally quit fighting His call (about 15 years of resistance), that like CS Lewis had thought when he converted, I would just attend and sit, sing, pray and listen to the message.
There's so more to worship than that.

"Into the community you were called-the call was not meant for you alone; in the community of the called you bear your cross, you struggle, you pray. You are not alone even in death, and on the Last Day you will be only one of the great congregation of Jesus Christ. If you scorn the fellowship of the brethren, you reject the call of Jesus Christ." -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

When I was anti-church and anti-Christian, I presented the argument that church is just a man-made institution, and as such of no import; followed by the usual criticisms of Christians and the Church. Actually, us getting together is God's idea. From Exodus: "From everyone who gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering...And let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them...And there I will meet with you, and I will speak with you from above the mercy seat."

Jesus set the example. From Luke: "So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath Day, and stood up to read."

Being a member of the Body of Christ, and worshiping corporately, I find God's grace released to me, and to all of us that are there. I am humbled. I am loved. And I love. I hear His Word, and am matured as a man, a human, and a Christian. I know I am submitted to Him, and am better for it.

This is a place where we enter the presence of God, and we welcome Him into our presence and hearts.

No comments: