May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit

There's a Buddhist story of a propitiate going to a Master, wanting to become a monk, and study under him. The Master offers tea, and as he pours, the cup overfills and runs onto the serving tray. The propitiate can't stand it, and asks what's he doing?.. nothing more can go in! The Master says, 'you are full of your own ideas, speculations and opinions. Until you empty yourself of those, how can I show you Zen?'

How can we fully accept God, humble and submit ourselves to Him, unless we first empty ourselves of our own ideas, speculations, and opinions? When Jesus asked us to be poor, He's asking us to empty our cup, so He may fill us with His spirit.

There are two words for poor in Greek. 'Penes' is working poor, not rich but doing okay. The other word for poor, the one used in the Beatitudes, is 'ptochos', the worst kind of poverty; destitute and without one material possession but the clothes on your back. The Hebrew word for poor is 'ani' or 'ebion', meaning a helpless and humble man, who has put his trust in God.

I'm the cup that he pours Himself into. He pours in Love. I can express that Love with more truth and intensity than when I was full of my own notions. I humble myself before Him. In that cup there is no more room for those things that diminish me in the eyes of God.

'Blessed' in Greek, 'makarious', is something happy and joyous. It's grace, given us though salvation. My cup is full of his Love and Grace. I am Blessed.

No comments: