May each of you have the heart to conceive, the understanding to direct, and the hand to execute works that will leave the world a little better for your having been here. -- Ronald Reagan

Monday, January 26, 2009

A Day (off) in the Life

It's amazing how my day off went so quickly and so much was done, and how complete I feel. I couldn't sleep last night, so I napped fitfully in my recliner until about 5 am. Brewed some great Trader Joe's Free Trade coffee (I like and support the free trade concept) and read a few chapters of an incredible book, "The Gospel According to Paul". The author lays a great foundation of the rabbinical traditions over centuries that the Apostle Paul drew from, and was trained in. That's layered into what the Middle East and Mediterranean was like two thousand years ago. This book so captures the heart and foundation of ancient Judaism and the early Christian church. I'm loving it. I read several chapters this morning and made a lot of blog entries. Taking a couple weeks off from writing created some inertia, but I think I'm back on.

On to the dentist and got some bling for my choppers. Porcelin crowns crack, so now we have a gleam of gold.

I went and saw "Slumdog Millionaire", which is so amazing and wonderful. Great story and well told.

Later I talked awhile with my 80 year old aunt that lives in Oregon. More stories of the days of her early life. How it took about five months, when she was a kid, to move from Nebraska to Oregon, often camping out to save money. Stories of growing up, and her grandma and aunts. She'll be sending me some quilts and other things made by great great grandma's and great grandma's and aunts, and some old photos from the thirties and forties.

The rest of the day chores. We have a dozen ironed shirts, all laundry, cleaning, vacuuming. bills paid, letters written, Facebook and MySpace...done.

A productive, entertaining, informed day.

I liked it.

No comments: